Skip to main content

Naomi Osaka’s statement about withdrawing from French Open

Naomi Osaka’s statement about withdrawing from French Open
Japan’s Naomi Osaka returns the ball to Romania’s Patricia Maria Tig during their first round match of the French open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium Sunday, May 30, 2021 in Paris. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)

Naomi Osaka tweeted the following statement announcing her withdrawal from the French Open on Monday:

“Hey everyone, this isn’t a situation I ever imagined or intended when I posted a few days ago. I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris.

”I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not idea and my message could have been clearer.

”More importantly I would never trivialize mental health or use the term lightly. The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the US Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that. Anyone that knows me knows I’m introverted, and anyone that has seen me at the tournaments will notice that I’m often wearing headphones as that helps dull my social anxiety.

ALSO READ: NNPC to acquire equity in 6 private refineries — Official

”Though the tennis press has always been kind to me (and I wanna apologize especially to all the cool journalists who I may have hurt), I am not a natural public speaker and get huge waves of anxiety before I speak to the world’s media.

”I get rally nervous and find it stressful to always try to engage and give you the best answers I can. So here in Paris I was already feeling vulnerable and anxious so I thought it was better to exercise self-care and skip the press conferences.

”I announced it preemptively because I do feel like the rules are quite outdated in parts and I wanted to highlight that.

”I wrote privately to the tournament apologizing and saying that I would be more than happy to speak with them after the tournament as the Slams are intense.

”I’m gonna take some time away from the court now, but when the time is right I really want to work with the Tour to discuss ways we can make things better for the players, press and fans.

”Anyways hope you are all doing well and staying safe, love you guys I’ll see you when i see you (heart emoji)”

[Associated Press]

Vanguard News Nigeria

The post Naomi Osaka’s statement about withdrawing from French Open appeared first on Vanguard News.


by Rasheed Sobowale via Vanguard News https://ift.tt/3g0tBGI Wikipedia Our Friends From Virginia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chad abolishes death penalty for terrorist acts

Boko Haram terrorists Chad on Tuesday abolished the death penalty for terrorist acts, quashing an exception that was on the books for four years, Justice Minister Djimet Arabi told AFP. The Sahel country passed legislation in 2016 to abolish capital punishment, but made an exception for perpetrators of terrorism. Arabi, who proposed the amendment, said the vote was unanimous and the law would come into force once it is approved by President Idriss Deby Itno, whose party enjoys a huge majority in parliament. The change is “aimed at harmonising our laws in line with all the countries of the G5 Sahel Group,” the minister said. Chad’s military is a key part of the 5,000-strong G5 force alongside Burkina Faso, Niger, Mali and Mauritania that cooperates with French troops to combat a growing Islamist insurgency. ALSO READ:  Mystery over 44 dead Boko Haram members in Chad prison The last execution carried out in Chad was in August 2015 when 10 suspected members of the Islamist g...

World without nuclear, amen!

By Owei Lakemfa POPE Francis this week sent humanity on another soul searching mission. During a visit to Japan, he held out the mirror in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and invited the world to look at itself. The only imagery that stared back at us, was the savagery of the atomic bombs dropped in both Japanese cities by the Americans in August, 1945. READ ALSO:We supported APC, but we are now with Makinde, say Oyo market men, women(Opens in a new browser tab) Within eight to twelve weeks the two bombs torched the earth, between 90,000 and 146,000 died  n Hiroshima and 39,000 and 80,000 in Nagasaki. Continue reading World without nuclear, amen! at Vanguard News. by Urowayino Jeremiah via Vanguard News https://ift.tt/2pZv9us Wikipedia Our Friends From Virginia

Court sentences man to death by hanging for killing mother over ‘disappearing’ charm

A High Court sitting in Jos, on Thursday sentenced a 20-year-old man, Agugu Adau, to death by hanging for killing his mother. Continue reading Court sentences man to death by hanging for killing mother over ‘disappearing’ charm at Vanguard News Nigeria. by adekunle via Vanguard News Nigeria https://ift.tt/2SvOYSw Wikipedia Our Friends From Virginia